Friday, February 17, 2012

6 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Workout

ByStan W Thompson

Expert Author Stan W Thompson

It amazes me how many people take the time and trouble to go to the gym, yet they get almost nothing out of their workout. You see them wondering around, with no real effort and no plan of what they want to accomplish in that given workout. I know you've seen them. They will do a few sets of something and then look around, wondering what they should do next, maybe a few curls, or a few crunches, or maybe a set of shoulder presses. They see someone they know, ( or maybe would like to know) and spend 5 or 10 minutes talking. Before they know it, they've been there 45 minutes and it's time to leave. What a waste of time!

I know that I always want to get the most out of any workout I do. If I take the time and trouble to get up, ( I do most of my workouts about 5:30 am), get ready, and drive to the gym, I do not want to waste a minute of my time. There are several things that I do to ensure that I get the most out of every single workout I do. Try following these tips and you will see a great improvement in your results as well.

1. Plan your workouts ahead of time. When I talk about planning your workouts, I don't mean just plan on going. You need to know which muscle group you are going to work, what exercises you are going to do for that muscle group, how many sets of each particular exercise, and how many reps for each set. All of this will keep you focused on what you want to accomplish for the workout.

2. Eat properly before you work out. Try to eat a small meal 45 minutes to an hour before you work out. Primary carbohydrates are best for pre-workout meals or snacks because they quickly digest and are a good source of fuel. Some examples of primary carbohydrates are: whole grain toast, low-fat yogurt, oatmeal, bagels, bananas, and apples.

3. Keep a log as you work out. I have a log of every workout I have ever done. If I don't log my workout, I don't feel like I have accomplished anything. If I do not log what I do, how do I know if I am doing what I scheduled for that day? How do I know how I am progressing for that particular workout? How will I know when I am done? There are so many benefits to logging your workouts.. By keeping a log, I can look back and see how I am progressing, if I am neglecting a particular muscle group, and if it is time to change the exercises I am doing. You don't have to have anything fancy. I keep my log on pages of a legal pad. I tear them off the pad, punch holes in each sheet and put them in a 1 inch binder. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

4. Time your workouts. I always try to finish my workouts in 40 to 50 minutes. If I can do this, it means that I am not resting too long between sets which means that I am keeping my heart rate high which means that I am burning more calories. If I can do between 16 and 20 sets in this time frame that means that I am working at a good pace.

5. Drink plenty of fluids while working out. Try to drink about 8 oz. every 15 to 20 minutes. Keep your fluids in an easy to store container that you can keep with you so you will not interrupt your workout.

6. Have a protein shake or healthy snack after working out. You have done all of the above to get the absolute max out of your workout. DO NOT SKIP THIS ONE. You must feed your body after a hard workout or all of your time and effort will be wasted. Your meal should consist of protein and carbs, no fat. You should always get your post workout meal eaten within 30 minutes of working out, no later than one hour. I always have a protein shake after working out. A liquid shake is better than a regular meal because it digests faster. Whey protein is the best type of protein for your post workout meal because it is the fastest digesting type of protein. I use low-fat milk and mix in a 1/2 cup of frozen fruit with mine to give it a little more flavor. Adding the fruit also keeps me feeling full for a longer period of time.

I really believe that if you follow these tips you will see a dramatic improvement in your results. Good Luck!

Dedicated to helping you improve your health and fitness. For all the tips you need to get into the best shape of your life go to http://mensfitness101.blogspot.com/

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Stan_W_Thompson

Did you find this article helpful?101Get Involved0 commentsSuggest a topicArticle ToolsPrint this articleE-mail to a friendEzinePublisherReport this articleCite this articleStay InformedGet notified by email when new articles are added to this category or written by this author.Subscribe to New Article Alerts:

Health and Fitness: Build-Muscle
Stan W Thompson

Email Address:SubscribeBuild Muscle Article FeedFind More ArticlesSearchSimilar ArticlesHow to Get Ripped - Learn How To Build MusclesBuilding Muscle - Fast Tips For Fast ResultsThe Absolute Proven Approach to Build Muscle Mass Fast!Building Muscle - Everything You Need To Now About Muscle Building and How To Get StartedApplicable Guidelines For Quicker Fat Loss WorkoutA Good Workout RoutineBurn Fat While Building Muscle - It Is PossibleHow to Lose Fat - Easy and Stress-Free!19 Ways to Run Injury FreeThe Nutrition Prescription - Nutritional Considerations For Student AthletesRecent ArticlesFemale Bodybuilding - How to Ensure Correct Training Depending on Body TypeGetting the 8 Pack Abs You Dream AboutFemale Bodybuilding Information for the NewbiesBuild Muscle, Lose WeightWhat Is Creatine and What Is It Used in Bodybuilding?How to Gain Weight Body BuildingHow To Build Lean Muscle - The Right WayHow You Can Build Your Biceps Quickly And Maintain Muscle Mass EffectivelyLean Muscle DietDon't Teach Bad Weight Lifting TechniquesSubmitted On January 09, 2012. Viewed 27 times. Word count: 802.

MLA Style Citation:
Thompson, Stan W.".".9 Jan. 2012EzineArticles.com.26 Jan. 2012 .APA Style Citation:
Thompson, S. W. (2012, January 9). . Retrieved January 26, 2012, from http://ezinearticles.com/?6-­Ways-­to-­Get-­the-­Most-­Out-­of-­Your-­Workout&id=6803219Chicago Style Citation:
Thompson, Stan W. "." EzineArticles.com. http://ezinearticles.com/?6-­Ways-­to-­Get-­the-­Most-­Out-­of-­Your-­Workout&id=6803219EzineArticles.com© 2012 EzineArticles.com
All Rights Reserved Worldwide

About UsFAQContact UsMember BenefitsPrivacy PolicyShopSite MapBlogTrainingVideo ArchiveAdvertisingAffiliatesCartoonsAuthorsSubmit ArticlesMembers LoginPremium MembershipExpert AuthorsEndorsementsEditorial GuidelinesTerms of ServicePublishersFollow UsTerms Of ServiceEzines / Email AlertsManage SubscriptionsEzineArticles RSS

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment